Book Review: Maria: A Novel of Maria von Trapp by Michelle Moran

 

Rating: 4.5⭐️


I’ve never had the privilege of watching the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, but the 1965 movie based on the same has been a favorite of mine ever since I watched it for the first time at the age of seven. Though I was too young to appreciate the more serious themes, I adored Maria and her dynamic with the Trapp children and loved the music. My father, amused by my enthusiastic renditions of the songs ( I can’t sing to save my life, but when has that ever stopped me?), gifted me a copy of the movie (a VHS tape - this was the 1980’s!) - which became one of my most cherished possessions. As I grew older, and rewatched the movie with friends and family more times than I can remember, I began to appreciate the story, (the knowledge that it was inspired by true events rendered the movie even more special), the characters and the themes addressed in the movie more. I remember a discussion I had with a colleague in the early 2000s that prompted me to read up on the true story of the Trapp family. I will admit I was more than a tad disheartened to find out that not only were certain aspects of the story fictionalized, but that Maria was portrayed as quite different from the real Maria von Trapp. However, I was mature enough to appreciate the movie for what it was – an enchanting, fictionalized version of a true story with memorable characters and music that was pure magic!

When I chose to read Maria: A Novel of Maria von Trapp by Michelle Moran, I went in well-prepared and not much of what is shared about the true story that inspired the musical/movie came as a surprise. However, I did enjoy this novel and appreciate the research that went into the crafting of this story.

The novel primarily revolves around the making of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s 1959 Broadway musical and Maria von Trapp’s objections to the creative liberties taken in telling her story. The narrative is presented in dual timelines. The 1959 timeline is, for the most part, shared from the perspective of Fran, Oscar Hammerstein’s secretary, who is tasked with meeting Maria, who after writing a scathing letter voicing her objections, comes to New York to confront the Mr. Hammerstein and demand revisions in the script. The 1926 timeline, which also includes flashbacks from Maria’s earlier years, is shared from Maria's first-person POV.

Maria shares her story with Fran and also shares how the previous movie based on her 1949 memoir The Story of the Trapp Family Singers (the 1956 German movie Die Trapp-Familie) and the misrepresentation of facts have fractured her bond with her family. She also shares her experiences and the challenges the family faced in the initial years after arriving in the United States. As the narrative progresses, we get to know more about Maria, the Trapp children and Georg, and whether she was ultimately able to convince Mr. Hammerstein to incorporate any of the revisions she requested.

Though the writing might feel a tad disjointed due to the jumping timelines and perspectives, the author eventually brings all the threads of the story together in an incredibly moving ending.

Do read the beautifully-penned Author’s Note where she discusses her inspiration for this novel, the source material she has referenced and the creative liberties she has taken while crafting this story. Maria’s story is one of courage, resilience, love, family, loss and hope and I commend the author for her efforts to bring the true story that inspired the musical and later the movie to a wider audience. The scope of the novel is limited to the making of the musical, but in her note, the author provides a brief glimpse into how the family fared in the years after and I especially appreciated the updates on the Trapp children.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and would not hesitate to recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction inspired by true events.

Many thanks to Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine for the digital review copy via NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Comments