Book Review: House of Glass by Sarah Pekkanen

 

Rating: 3.5⭐


Stella Hudson, a best interest attorney by profession, is appointed as counsel for Rose Barclay, a nine-year-old girl whose parents are in the middle of a bitter divorce. Stella’s role is to determine the best custody arrangement for Rose, which entails interacting with Barclays and studying the dynamics within the family based on which a decision might be taken. Rose suffers from traumatic mutism – a condition that developed after she witnessed her twenty-six-year-old nanny, Tina de la Cruz, plunging to death from her window on the upper floor of the Barclays’ house. The circumstances surrounding Tina’s death remain a mystery and given Rose’s condition, her family – parents Ian and Beth and her grandmother, Harriet, are protective of Rose, to the extent that they would prefer to restrict Rose’s interaction with Stella.

Stella, who had a traumatic childhood herself, has Rose’s best interests at heart and tries to earn Rose’s trust, but Rose’s strange behavior on more than one occasion, her parents replacing all glass in the house with plastic and their overprotectiveness, leads Stella to believe that all the Barclays harbor dark secrets they are desperate to protect and Rose is at the center of it all. Will Stella be able to protect Rose and herself before anyone else gets hurt?

I thought the premise of House of Glass by Sarah Pekkanen was truly intriguing and was completely immersed in the first half of the novel. The pacing is on the slower side, which I did not mind and I loved the sinister vibes, the murder mystery with none of the Barclays, including Rose, above suspicion and the creepy glassless house. However, as the narrative progressed, my enthusiasm dampened. Truth be told, I enjoyed the way the element of mystery was built up and the suspenseful vibe of the novel, but the story lost momentum by including certain unnecessary subplots into the narrative. While I liked Stella and admired her dedication to her profession and how protective she was of Rose, there were certain aspects pertaining to Stella’s backstory that I felt were of no consequence to the plot and certain developments toward the end felt contrived.

I wish emphasis had been placed on the mystery aspect and there had been more showing than telling. Overall, though there was a lot about this novel that I liked, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I had expected.

I paired my reading with the audiobook narrated by Laura Benanti. Though the narrator did a decent job of voicing the characters and the immersion reading experience was enjoyable, this is one of those rare occasions where I preferred the book over the audiobook.

Many thanks to St. Martin's Press for the digital review copy and Macmillan Audio for ALC via NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Comments