Book Review: The Library of Borrowed Hearts by Lucy Gilmore (Audiobook)


Audio Narration : 4⭐
Plot: 2.5⭐



Librarian Chloe Sampson has a lot on her plate. Legal guardian to her three younger siblings ever since their mother abandoned them, she juggles her job at the local library and her responsibilities at home. When she discovers a rare edition of an old book while clearing out the library basement, she decides to sell it for a decent price, hoping that the sale will temporarily ease her financial woes. The book in question has handwritten notes written in the margin – notes indicating a romantic relationship between two book-loving people ( “J” an “C”). When her grumpy elderly neighbor Jasper Holmes offers to buy the book for a handsome price Chloe begins to put two and two together and begins to search for more books in the library with similar messages on the pages. As the narrative progresses, Chloe’s quest marks the beginning of an unlikely friendship with Jasper, who helps her when she is at her wit’s end. We follow Chloe as her deep dive into the events from sixty years ago gives her a deeper look into Jasper’s past and a love story that isn’t quite over.

I love stories that revolve around books/ bookstores/libraries. It's always a joy to find stories that emphasize how books can be a reader’s best companion and how the love for reading can bring people together. I was drawn to the premise The Library of Borrowed Hearts by Lucy Gilmore for the same reasons. Told through multiple perspectives in dual timelines with a plot that includes a wonderful selection of literary references with scribbled messages in the margins of old books, a struggling librarian who is intent on solving the mystery behind the identity of the two lovers who used books as a way to communicate in the 1960s, a likable protagonist and a curmudgeonly neighbor who isn’t as gruff as he makes out be, this novel had a lot to offer.

Initially, I was enjoying the story and found both present and past storylines interesting, but as the narrative progressed, I found myself struggling to maintain my enthusiasm. Chloe is an endearing protagonist ( though as the story progressed, I did question some of her choices) and I liked her dynamic with her friends and siblings (Noodle was one of my favorite characters). But the story moved too slowly for my liking and I thought that the 1960s storyline left a lot to be desired. There were several subplots and characters woven into the narrative, and there was too much going on, much of which was eventually of no consequence. The predictable, weak and unconvincing plot points (a few of which left me with unanswered questions) made it difficult to stay engaged. I was particularly disappointed in how the subplot revolving around Chloe’s dynamic with her mother was depicted. In the end, I wasn't quite sold on how the author chose to end the story.

I listened to the audiobook, brilliantly narrated by Leanne Woodward, Aven Shore, Joe Jameson and Bob Ball. I am glad that I opted for the audiobook, as I am sure that this would have been a tedious read.

This was my second Lucy Gilmore novel. The Lonely Hearts Book Club wasn’t an entirely satisfying read for me and unfortunately, this time was no different. However, many have enjoyed this book more and I would request you peruse other reviews before you decide on reading this novel.


Many thanks to Dreamscape Media for the ALC via NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Comments