Book Review: The Firm by John Grisham (The Firm #1)


Rating:⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 


I had read this novel way back in the mid-1990s, much before I was on Goodreads. The release of the sequel prompted me to pick it up again (paired with the audiobook this time). One of my favorites from John Grisham, I enjoyed it this time as much as I did over twenty-five years ago. The only difference is that this time, I could visualize the setting having visited Memphis, The Peabody (loved those ducks!) and The Rendezvous (the food is delicious!). It was fun to be able to relate to those experiences!


Mitch McDeere, fresh out of Harvard Law School passes up the opportunity to work on Wall Street for a small firm in Memphis, Bendini, Lambert & Locke, with an enviable salary, benefits, and ample opportunity for growth. Mitch promptly packs up and moves to Memphis with his wife Abby. Little did he know then that The Firm was being covertly investigated by the FBI for financial crimes and links to the mob and he would be right in the middle of it all, endangering his career and his life. The narrative follows Mitch as he looks for a way out before it is too late.

The Firm by John Grisham is surely one of his best works and one that has stood the test of time. Despite this being a second reading, I was immersed in the story until the very end. Well-thought-out characters, consistent pacing, a gripping plot, and Grisham’s masterful storytelling – what more could we ask for? Could not recommend this novel enough!

I paired my reading with the audio narration by Scott Brick which made for an entertaining immersion reading experience!

Comments