Book Review: A Wealth of Pigeons by Harry Bliss and Steve Martin


My Rating: 
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A Wealth of Pigeons is a collection of cartoons created by famed illustrator/cartoonist Harry Bliss and veteran actor, comedian and writer Steve Martin.

I picked this book up (it was gathering dust on my shelves for over a year) after reading two emotionally taxing books back-to-back and needed a light-hearted read. This was perfect for a ‘pick-me-up’ and I enjoyed laughing myself silly over this delightful collection of ridiculously funny cartoons (and captions) on a variety of subjects including animals, aliens and outer space and of course the exploits of the common man. We even get a few multi-panel frames in which the collaborators give us a glimpse into their creative process,  Bliss and Martin appearing as cartoon versions of themselves!

Needless to say, the artwork is simply stunning with mostly black and white sketches ( a handful with a splash of color). With a wide variety of topics and humor, the collection never gets monotonous.  I couldn’t get enough of these cartoons and sincerely hope Steve Martin and Harry Bliss get together for more such collaborations in the future.

For those who enjoy New Yorker-style cartoons, The Wealth of Pigeons by Harry Bliss and Steve Martin deserves a place in your collection! Perfect as a palate cleanser, when you need a good laugh or just because you feel like it! As in most "collections" some cartoons were funnier or more interesting than others but overall, this book is a fun and light-hearted read that I really enjoyed!

Comments