Book Review: Heroes by Stephen Fry ( Stephen Fry’s Great Mythology #2)


My Rating:
4.5⭐️

“Myth can be a kind of human algebra which makes it easier to manipulate truths about ourselves. Symbols and rituals are not toys and games to be dispensed with on our arrival at adulthood, they are tools we will always need. They complement our scientific impulse; they do not stand in opposition to it.”
In Heroes: The Greek Myths Reimagined, Stephen Fry’s retelling of the timeless tales of the “heroes", we learn about the origins, quests, triumphs and legacies of  Perseus, Heracles, Bellerophon, Orpheus, Jason, Oedipus and Atalanta. The stories of Atalanta, the only female among the heroes and that of Bellephoron were completely new for me and I enjoyed them thoroughly. The Labors of Heracles and the story of Jason and the Argonauts were my personal favorites. I particularly enjoyed getting to know more about the mythical creatures the heroes go up against. Stephen Fry’s characteristic humor and wit render this an informative, entertaining and engaging read. 

I read the US Hardcover version and I have to say it is a beautiful edition featuring stunning classical artwork inspired by these stories. The author draws from multiple sources and does not fail to mention the different versions of the same story (if and when applicable). Contemporary references inspired by the myths make for interesting reading, as does the author’s distinctive style of storytelling, without digressing too much from the main stories. Though many of these characters and their stories were briefly mentioned in Mythos, in Heroes the author goes into much more detail. The glossary of the characters at the end of the book was very useful for reference because with so many characters and their complicated lineage, it does get a bit confusing in parts. 

As I had done while reading Mythos, I paired my reading with the audiobook (narrated by the author himself) which is simply brilliant. The audio experience is immersive and I felt transported to the world of the Greek gods and heroes. Even if you’re not a fan of audiobooks, I would recommend giving Stephen Fry’s narration of his Greek mythology series a try. While I would rate Heroes (the book) a  4 out of 5  ( I’ll admit that I enjoyed Mythos a bit more), the audio version is a solid 5-star experience.

Comments